CREATION, VISION, MISSION,PHILOSOPHY, MOTTO,VALUES, OBJECTIVES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND POWERS
ULK POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE is a private technical learning Institution founded on 02ndOctober, 2014 and now governed by the Workforce Development Agency WDA, law Nº 455/2016 of 18/5/2016 governing the organization and functioning of technical learning Institutions in Rwanda, the Law N°66/2018 of 30/08/2018 regulating labor in Rwanda, the Presidential Order N°51/01 of 13/7/2010 establishing quality standards in higher learning institutions, the ULK Polytechnic Institute statutes its Internal Regulations and Manual of Procedures.
In line with the vision of the Government of Rwanda to promote practical skills,ULK Polytechnic Institute aims to stand out as a remarkable Institute for excellence with hands on skills and highly motivated students endowed with elevated ethical values.
The Missionof ULK Polytechnic Institute is: to educate, teach, conduct technical projects and serve the community. The fundamental mission of ULK Polytechnic Institute is to provide the students with competitive, creative, innovative skills which will contribute to find solutions on the labor market.
The philosophy of ULK Polytechnic Institute is based on four fundamental principles:
- To have faith in God;
- To know one’s mission on earth;
- To live ethicalvalues;
- To have positive thoughts.
The mottoof ULK Polytechnic Institute is “Science, Conscience and Skills”.
ULK Polytechnic Institute has the following objectives:
- To contribute to capacity building hands on skills based;
- To promote projects innovation for serving the community;
- To provide middle technicians with technical trainings to meet the community needs;
- To provide service to the community;
- to train competent technicians with moral and civic values;
- To train technicians to become creative and self employers;
Article 7: Responsibilities of ULK Polytechnic Institute
The main responsibilities of ULK Polytechnic Institute are the following:
- To carry out and promote technological disciplines according to labor market demand at the national and regional level;
- To collaborate with other institutions to ensure their dissemination in order to contribute to the promotion of development at the national, regional level and worldwide;
- To provide the student with knowledge, hands on skills, technology and education for innovation and self employment;
- To promote the national culture with end-purpose of promoting technical education that meets Rwandan needs;
- To contribute to resolution of issues related to national development;
Article 8: Powers of ULK Polytechnic Institute
ULK Polytechnic Institute has the following powers:
- To award A1 level, Advanced Diplomas offered in accordance with the law;
- To award Diploma and Certificates to candidates who successfully complete training courses;
- To conclude cooperation agreements with different organs in charge of education, either national or foreign institutions of higher learning;
- To organize trainings for lecturers in order to be a competitive at the international level.
- To promote lecturers to academic ranks;
Article 10:ULK Polytechnic Institute organs are:
- The Founder and President’s office;
- The ULK Polytechnic Institute Council;
- The Principal;
- The Senior Management;
- The Academic Senate;
- The Department Council.
The Founder and President’s Office comprises:
- Founder and President;
- The Committee of Auditors.
Article 12: Attributions
The attributions of the Founder and President are:
- To represent legally the Institution;
- To designate the Chancellor to be approved by the Council;
- To appoint and cancel the appointment of any member of the Council;
- To designate members of Senior Management to be approved by the Council;
- To appoint and dismiss ULK Polytechnic Institute authorities;
- To appoint and dismiss members of the auditors committee;
- To ratify activities programs and the ULK Polytechnic Institute budget;
- To decide about the ULK Polytechnic Institute investments and extension;
- To decide about the A0/BTech or equivalent level studies.
The Advisors of the Founder and President Office are in charge of the day to day coordination of activities of the Founder and President’s Office.
Article 14: Committee of Auditors
The Committee of financial Auditors carries out the financial control of financial statements, bank accounts, and the quality of service provided by the ULK Polytechnic Institute organs. Its members shall check all accounting documents without moving them from the place where they are kept. The Committee of Academic Auditors carries out the academic control of the content of module syllabus and notes, the veracity of marking, students’ marks, etc.
Article 15: ULK Polytechnic Institute Council
The ULK Polytechnic Institute Council is the governing and decision making organ of the Institute. Members of the Council of Institute are appointed by the Founder (owner) of the Institute and it comprises the following members:
- The Chairman appointed by the Founder and Owner of the Institute;
- The Principal who is in charge of the minutes of the meeting;
- The Vice Principals;
- Four experts in education, science and technology appointed by the Founder of the Institute;
- A representative of the Head of Departments
Article 16: Attributions of the ULK Polytechnic Institute Council
The ULK Polytechnic Institute Council main attributions are the following:
- To provide points of view and suggestions concerning the ULK Polytechnic Institute education policies, strategies and assure the follow up of their execution;
- To approve the designation of the Chancellor;
- To approve the designation of the Members of Senior Management;
- To approve Internal Regulations of the Institute;
- To approve the Institute budget;
- To approve the Annual Activity Plan of the ULK Polytechnic Institute and the related budget;
- To approve the conclusions and decisions submitted by the Academic Senate, including particularly the academic awards, recruitment, promotions for lecturers and researchers of higher learning institutions;
- To make monitor activities which allow the ULK Polytechnic Institute to fulfill its mission;
Article 17: Appointment of Chairperson and the election of the Vice chairperson of the Council
The Chairperson of the Council is appointed by the Founder and Owner of the Institute. The Vice-Chairperson of the Council is elected by his/her colleagues during the first meeting chaired over by the Chairperson of the Council.
The Vice- Chairperson replaces the Chairperson of the Council in case of the latter’s absence or unavailability.
The Council meets once in three months upon the request of the Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson in case of the Chairperson’s absence or unavailability while the quorum of 2/3 of its members are present.
In case of emergency and impossibility for the Councilto sit, the Senior Management of the Institute can urgently decide in order that the Institute may fulfil its mission. In this case, the Principal shall communicate the decision in writing to the chairperson of Council not later than three (3) working days starting from the day on which the decision was taken.
The Council shall examine the urgent decision taken by the Senior Management during its next meeting.
The decisions of the Council are reported to the Founder and President of theInstitutewithin five (5) working days after the meeting.
Members of the Council of Instituteattending the meetings of the Council shall be entitled to sitting allowances determined by the Founder of the Institute.
Article 23: Designation of the Principal
The Principal is designated by the Founder and the Owner of ULK and approved by the Council.
Article 24: Attributions of the Principal
-The role of the Principal is to provide leadership, direction and co-ordination within the Institute;
-The Principal's main focus should be to develop and maintain effective educational programs within Institute and to promote the improvement of teaching, training, consulting and learning with Institute. The Principal should strive to create an organization and or climate which fosters student, teacher and staff growth;
- In fulfilling this role the Principal shall work under the supervision of the President of ULK and within Council policy.
- Keep the President of ULK fully advised as to the conditions and needs of the institute.
- The principal is continually endeavour to improve the operating effectiveness of Institute.
- The Principal keeps informed of current practices and techniques relating to institute programs, teaching and administration by attending meetings and professional development conferences.
- The Principal is in charge of the supervision of the Institute; observing methods of instruction and endeavouring to improve the efficiency of the staff and the institute in general.
- The Principal liaises with other institutes and with relevant divisions and campuses to develop, implement, promote and review strategies designed to enhance educational excellence.
- The Principal suggests appropriate changes in and ensure adherence to approved policies, practices and procedures within his area of responsibility.
- The Principal co-ordinates and foster the development of programs within the institute to best meet the needs and interests of the students. This includes the establishment, supervision, and evaluation of special education programs where a student needs one.
- The Principal assists the teaching staff in the development, implementation, modifications, and selection of curriculum materials, and keep the Superintendent informed as to any modifications in or substitution of approved courses.
- The Principal develops and supports a high degree of student morale through curricular and extracurricular activities and services and co-ordinate the participation of all members of the teaching staff in the extracurricular program.
- The Principal takes an active role in the selection, planning, and implementation of professional development activities for the staff in cooperation with the President's Office.
- The Principal shall evaluate the effectiveness of each member of the staff in accordance with the establishment plan.
- The Principal works cooperatively with public and private industries/Institutions.
Article 25:Selection of the members of the Senior Management
Members of the Senior Management of ULK Polytechnic Institute are selected by the Founder and Owner of the ULK Ltd and approved by the Council.
Article 26: Composition of Senior Management
The Senior Management of the ULK Polytechnic Institute is made up of:
- The Principal who acts as chairperson;
- The Vice Principal Academics;
- The Vice Principal Administration and Finance.
- Heads of Department Representatives/Head of Department Representative
Article 27: Competence
The Senior Management looks forward to administering and managing theULK Polytechnic Institute on a daily basis, and takes decisions for the smooth running of the Institute.
Article 28: Term Office of Principal
The term office of Principal is set for 3 years renewable and this can be cancelled any time by the Founder and Owner of ULK, in case of poor performance and lack of compliance with Laws and ULK Polytechnic Institute Regulations.
Article 29: Meetings of Senior Management
The Senior Management meets once a week upon invitation of its chairperson, namely the Principal. Extraordinary Senior Management meetings are convened by the Principal when requested by 1/3 of its members and whenever necessary.
Section 5: Academic Senate
Article 30: Competence of Academic Senate
The Academic Senate is the Supreme competent organ in academic affairs, research and education in an institution of higher learning.
Article 31: Composition of the Academic Senate
The Academic Senate is composed by the following members:
- The Principal of the Polytechnics Institute who acts as the Chairperson;
- Vice Principal academics;
- Vice Principal administration and finance;
- The Heads of departments;
- The President of students Guild.
Article 32: Attributions of Academic Senate
The Academic Senate has the following attributions:
- To set up strategies, programmes as well as academic and research schedules which are to be submitted to the Council for approval before implementation;
- To prepare and avail the academic regulations to be approved by the Council regarding admission requirements, teaching conditions, good conduct, sitting for examinations, degrees and certificates issued by the institution, etc.
- To analyze any decision related to exams or other forms of assessment before submitting them for approval to the Council;
- To conduct and supervise teaching-related activities, and education within departments;
- To suggest and submit to the Council any proposition on creating, reducing, changing, closing or merging Institute and departments;
- To prepare and submit suggestions related to Lecturers recruitment and promotion to the Council
- To elaborate and submit to the Council the Annual Report of academic, research and teaching activities undertaken within the institution;
- To perform and execute any activity required by the Council;
Article 33: Meetings of Academic senate
- Ordinary Academic Senate meetings are convened by the Chairperson once a month. Extraordinary Academic Senate meetings are convened by the Chairperson when requested by one-third (1/3) of its members and whenever necessary.
- In the absence of the chairperson, his/her deputy can convene ordinary or extraordinary Academic Senate meetings.
Article 34: Decision making
The Academic Senate’s decisions are taken through consensus. However, they may be taken through the absolute majority by polling the members present in the meeting. In case of a tie, the Chairman’s decision is preponderant.
Article 35: Attributions and Composition
The Department Council analyses all the issues related to teaching, projects in the Department. Its members appear as follows:
- The Head of Department;
- Teaching staff of the Department;
- The student representing the department, this one being elected by his/her colleagues.
The Department Council meets at least once every two weeks on the request of the Head of the Department whenever necessary.
Article 36: Heads of Departments
The mandate of Heads of Departments is set for 3 years renewable and this can be cancelled any time by the Founder and Owner of ULK, in case of poor performance and lack of compliance with Laws and ULK Polytechnic Institute Regulations.
Article 37: Instructors
Are appointed for laboratories and workshops management as technical staff support.
Before being recruited, all candidates with Academic documents issued abroad, must look for their equivalence at Ministry of Education.
Article 39: Recruitment
Before being recruited, all candidates, to any rank of lecturer must succeed the test of recruitment with at least 70%.
The following is to be taken into consideration during recruitment:
- The existence of a vacant post;
- Submitting an application;
- A Curriculum Vitae;
- Notified copies of the degrees;
- If possible an official act of appointment to the latest position;
- Two (2) passport photographs;
- To display scientific; intellectual, professional and moral aptitudes and abilities tailored to the post to be provided;
- A photocopy of a national Identity Card or passport for foreigners ;card or a residence card for foreigners;
The following are the types of employment contracts at the ULK Polytechnic Institute:
For Administrative and support staff:
- Open Ended Contract ( permanent contract ) ;
- Fixed Term Contract ( An annual contract) ;
For teaching staff, the staff should sign an Academic contract with the Principal before starting teaching.
Article 41: Probation employment
A probationary employee is one who, for a period of three months renewable once, is being observed and evaluated to determine whether or not he is qualified for permanent contract or annual contract.
The probation employment or its renewal must be concluded in writing and can only cover a maximum period of six (6) months. During that period, each party can terminate the contract in accordance with the law regulating Labor in Rwanda.
Members of the teaching staff as well as those of the administrative, technical and support staff are requested:
- To observe ULK Polytechnic Institute regulations, procedures and other requirements;
- To serve ULK Polytechnic Institute with commitment and integrity;
- To abide by the ULK Polytechnic Institute philosophy and values;
- To safeguard ULK Polytechnic Institute interests in any circumstance;
- To avoid any act or attitude likely to blackmail the dignity of their functions and that of the ULK Polytechnic Institute on service as well as off service;
- To avoid words of defamation and criticism towards ULK Polytechnic Institute and authorities;
- To partake into other Polytechnics Institute’s activities aimed at the population development.
Article 43: Duration of work
The legal employment's duration is forty five hours (45) per week following the structure of the institution. However, for the teaching staff, working hours are reduced to 40 hours per week split as follows: from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm and from 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm in working days and from 8:00am to 4: 00 pm in the weekend.
Article 44: Annual leave
The Senior Management establishes the annual leave timetable for all his/her staff. The action of requesting for a leave remains valid within two (2) years from the date where the worker enjoys the right to the leave. A request for leave is made by the worker in writing and the employer shall respond to the request in writing, too. Working days of the Polytechnics Institute holidays are part of the workers’ leave.
Article 45: Categories of staff
The following categories constitute Polytechnics Institute’s staff.
- The teaching staff;
- The administrative staff;
- The instructor staff and supporting staff.
Attributions of the teaching and research personnel are the following:
- To lecture modules/units from 300H to 450 H per year;
- To carry out research in order to promote science, technology and services to the community;
- To ensure the follow-up and assistance to students in their studies and project work, industrial attachment etc…;
- To participate in students assessment tests, invigilation, processing students’ academic claims about their marks, and whatever academic/administrative tasks requested by the hierarchy;
- To be committed to students’ education and to serve as a model in matter of good conduct.
- To engage in consultancy;
- Represent the Institution in various conferences, seminars and workshops;
- To participate in other activities in relation to the mission of the Institution.
Article 47: Requirements before teaching
No lecturer can start teaching without:
- Receiving the ULK Polytechnic Institute harmonized module/unit notes from the Department;
- Signing the contract with Polytechnics Institute authorities.
He/She is also required to teach (theory, practical exercises and presentations) the contents of the module/unit in its entirety according to WDA requirements.
Article 48: Evaluation of lecturers
Any teaching staff member is evaluated by students at the end of the module/unit and by the Senior Management at the end of the academic year based on:
- his/her scientific competence (his/her handling of the module/unit contents, scientific articles and books published);
- his/her pedagogic competence (methodology, techniques and strategies applied in transmitting efficiently the module/unit contents);
- his/her moral values (punctuality, integrity, sense of responsibility, commitment to students’ education, etc);
- his/her assiduity and commitment to accomplish academic and administrative tasks.
In order to maintain or keep his/her module or unit, the lecturer must get at least 70 % of marks of the evaluation done by his/her students and the evaluation done by the Senior Management on the overall evaluation.
Teaching personnel with at least the degree of bachelor or engineering is recruited among the staff from other universities. Experts from other fields holding the required scientific competence can be recruited as well.
In order to teach, conduct activity in another institution, a lecturer or instructor must be authorized to do so by the Principal upon the request of principals or any other competent authority of the sister institution.
Academic requirements and ranks are the same as those applied by the world’s good Institutes; ULK Polytechnic Institute recruits among holders of the following degrees:
- Instructor: Advanced diploma related to field;
- Assistant Lecturer: Bachelor’s degree related to field;
- Assistant Lecturer/Lecturer: Master’s degree related to field;
- Lecturer: PhD or three years as assistant Lecturer with Masters and one unit of research publication;
Academic services contract of teaching staff is signed between Principal and a teaching staff, however its annex related to its financial benefits is signed between Authorities in charge of Finance Services and the staff.
The teaching and research staff members have the right to exert consultancy services on the basis of a dully signed consultancy contract of which fees are distributed after tax deduction and all related expenses at 50% for the Lecturer(s) and 50% for the ULK Polytechnic Institute.
The Administrative Staff is hired to assist the Senior Management in fulfilling the ULK Polytechnic Institute’s mission.
The support staff is the staff employed by the ULK Polytechnic Institute, other than the teaching and the administrative staff.
The rights and obligations of the ULK Polytechnic Institute administrative, instructor and support staff are regulated by the Law regulating Labor in Rwanda, the law governing the Organization and functioning of WDA, the ULK Polytechnic Institute Regulations, the Manual of Procedures and the Manual of Attributions.
Every staff is subjected to a monthly evaluation for his or her performance which is structured as following:
- 86% and above ( A+ ),
- 80 – 85 % ( A )
- 76-79 % ( B+ )
- 70 – 75% ( B )
- 60 – 69 % ( C)
Below 60 % is mediocrity or professional insufficiency (D).
The performance at workplace is a sine qua none condition for a staff to be maintained at work place.
Are strictly prohibited, all forms of ethnic segregation, regionalism and discrimination.
Are also strictly prohibited, all forms of corruption, intolerance and immorality.
All forms of moral, physical aggression, oral or written threats directed at teachers, colleagues or at any member of the ULK Polytechnic Institute are sanctioned by definite or temporary exclusion from ULK Polytechnic Institute according to the graveness of the case.
Outrageous behavior vis-à-vis accepted moral standards of the Rwandan culture are prohibited. For example: the case for miniskirts, shorts and tight trousers for girls and ladies, earrings and plaits for boys and gentlemen. The subsequent sanction may reach definite exclusion in case the misconduct is repeated.
Any member of the ULK Polytechnic Institute community has to be obedient, polite, tolerant, respectful and honest.
Any breach or infringement against the obligation defined in the current Regulation by the ULK Polytechnic Institute member is liable to sanctions.
The following are different Disciplinary Committees:
The Academic Disciplinary Committee is made of:
- Vice Principal of Administration and Finance (Chairperson)
- Vice Principal Academics;
- Related Head of the Department.
This Committee will analyze teaching staff and students disciplinary cases. In case of students, the Head of Students and President of Guild are also invited.
The Administrative and Supporting Staff Committee is made of:
- Vice Principal Administration and Finance (Chairman);
- Vice Principal Academics;
- Related Line Manager of the Service.
The Disciplinary Committee is held upon the request of the Chairman of the Senior Management or Vice Principal academic services after consultation in case of absence of the chairman of the Senior Management. And each Disciplinary Committee, after having followed the disciplinary procedure, proposes the sanction to the Senior Management for final decision.
The following are the disciplinary sanctions taken by the Senior Management, applicable to the ULK Polytechnic Institute members:
- Written Warning;
- Blaming Letter;
- Suspension (for the staff) whose maximal duration is 8 days determined at the very moment it was pronounced
- Termination of the contract (for staff) and exclusion (for students).
For all staff, the Senior Management has the right to stop him or her from any activity for a gross misconduct (fraud of marks, plagiarism, complicity in cheating during or before the assessment session, corruption, ethnic, discrimination, professional insufficiency (less than 60% of annual evaluation), absenteeism, violence, drunkenness, insubordination, recidivism, forgery, and the use of forgeries, subversion, sexual harassment, uttering bad words between students, staff or against the institution, etc…)
Other provisions on disciplinary sanctions:
- Any member of the Management (Senior Management, Directors and Heads of Departments) who gets a Blaming Letter loses his/her position in the Management.
- Two Warning Letters are equivalent to one Blaming Letter; this has a retroactive effect.
- Any member of the permanent personnel who gets two Blaming Letters in his/her file is dismissed from the ULK Polytechnic Institute; this has a retroactive effect.
Any member of the ULK Polytechnic Institute (staff and student) acknowledges having read and agreed to the text of the ULK Polytechnic Institute Internal Regulations.
The current regulations are susceptible to modification anytime circumstances related to the ULK Polytechnic Institute development will oblige.
Done at Kigali on May, 2019
Dr. MBEREYAHO Leopold
Chairperson of the Council